The following central departments are responsible for conducting or coordinating various investigations on campus:
- Audit and Advisory Services is responsible for conducting preliminary evaluations and investigations of known or suspected misuse of University resources.
- UC Berkeley Police Department is responsible for conducting all criminal investigations on campus.
- Office of the Controller is responsible for coordinating all external financial audits by federal, state or other regulatory agencies.
- Office of Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) is responsible for investigating large-scale hazardous material spills and releases to the environment. They are also the liaison between the campus and regulatory agencies for most environmental, health, and safety issues.
- Information Systems & Technology (IST) is responsible for investigating the misuse of computing and network resources. They can be contacted via e-mail at email@example.com.
- Radiation Safety which is integrated with the Office of Environment, Health, & Safety (EH&S) is responsible for investigating worker exposures, spills, and releases involving radiation or lasers.
- Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research is the liaison between the campus and regulatory agencies for research compliance issues.
Administrative officials are responsible for cooperating fully with the investigation team and ensuring that requested documentation is made available promptly. They are also responsible for encouraging the faculty, staff, and student employees within their jurisdiction to report any suspicious activities.